Sunday 27 July 2008

Baltimore

Rode into Baltimore this morning in order to sus out where the bike has to go tomorrow. Came in via a Walmart where I managed to get my daughter a new digicam. Same make as the old one but probably updated. Not a bad price either, as you would expect. Just hope it works because I can't return it.

Weather was nice and hot today, but clammy, just like an English summers day, all sticky. In view of this I was riding in just my jeans and T shirt, helmet and light gloves (and still boiling). As I entered Baltimore the heavens opened, yet again Jed says, and as I was on the interstate I could not pull over to don waterproofs so had to ride through the storm for about 10 mins until we entered Baltimore proper and I could pull over. Glad I did pull over because the rain then fell with a vengeance but I had managed to get some shelter. Pulled on my dry waterproofs over my wet clothing and got back onto the bike, and, yes, the rain stopped and the sun broke out.

Found the road I need to take in the morning to the docks and had a recce. Boy, the state of these roads. If you think the prom in Douglas is bad, imagine it lifted up, scrunched together, then put back down. There were ruts from heavy lorries, potholes akin to mine shafts and ridges like the Himalayas. I was fearful at one stage of having the front wheel buckle or the pannier frames fracturing. I kid you not, it was bad. At least tomorrow I have only to do the trip one way, and its only 7 miles.

On the way to the hotel I was sweating up in my waterproofs so stopped and took off my jacket and continued, within 2 mins it started raining again!! As I was now in traffic waiting to turn into the road the hotel was in I could do nothing about it, so another soaking. When will it end?

Booked into my hotel in Baltimore, a short walk from the harbour and went for a stroll around the shops by the harbour. Very impressive I can tell you. I have also sighted the Baltimore Aquarium which also looks very good, so after dropping the bike tomorrow (so to speak) I will pass my time with a visit to there.

As soon as I finish this I will be booking my train for New York and JFK, so must go.

No comments: