Monday 23 June 2008

Lovely Weather

Awoke today to a lovely sunny day with temperatures expected to hit the high 70's, very nice indeed.

Clocks went back an hour as I crossed a time zone yesterday so in consequence I was awake at 6am instead of 7am. I don't know what it is but since I came over here I have not slept after 7am yet at home its usually about 9am unless I am on days. Can't be jet lag or anything like that, but I appear now to be stuck in a rut. I'm on holiday for Christ sake - I am in no rush to be out but consistently find myself on the road well before 9am - what is happening to me.

The idea today was to take a detour up the west coast of Lake Superior in order to see some wildlife but I'm afraid the roadworks over here had there own idea of a detour. I needed to cross a huge bridge across an inlet of Superior in order to get on the right road, however when I got there the bridge was closed for repairs - typical. The roadwork detour meant a 50mile ride west and then across another bridge and a further 50 mile ride back to a point opposite the start of the bridge, as the detour would add about 100 mile anyway it meant a further 200 miles with no real gain to my journey, so I thought - Sod it. So the top and tail is that I am still heading west on good "ole US2.

Stopped for a leg stretch at side of road and got chatting to a Harley rider, turns out that he was also a retired police officer with 30yrs service and he was travelling to his lakeside cabin in Minnesota - all right for some eh.

Forgot to tell you, yesterday I entered Wisconsin, and today I left it and entered Minnesota. I will have to give you the facts on these two states in my next blog as I do not have my map with me at the moment - bet you can't wait can you. Now don't get too excited, but I expect to cross into North Dakota tomorrow - so that will be three state facts to come. Who says life is boring?

The land today is as flat as a witches t*t but the roads remain pretty good, nice and wide and straight but the speed limit is still 60mph and no one seems to speed. The ex police man says the Police are strict with speeders with heavy fines as penalty, but having said that I have only seen one police car in 3 days, so there must be a better reason they don't speed - mind set perhaps!

I have stopped for lunch at the moment in Grand Rapids , a small town on US2. Pretty plain but it does have an internet cafe. Its a pity I did not have a small laptop as everywhere seems to have gone wi-fi, but can't have everything can we.

I have done about 140 miles today so will probally get in another 100 or so and then stop and try to find somewhere to camp. Mozzie free I hope, have just had to call at the drug store in town to get some cream for the ones I got during my bathroom break the other night!!

Ok, that's it for now, hopefully I can find a computer tomorrow.

Hope all is well across the pond and that you are not working too hard - daughters excepted as they are on holiday in Kos - enjoy.

P.S. the bike is running trouble free at the moment and fingers crossed - it stays that way!

2 comments:

eldest daughter! said...

Greetings from Kos- bloody hot here well over 100- Renia is making the most of the pool!
Lisa has hired a pushbike- not quite up to the standards of your blackbird, but it is getting me from a to b and it is a 20 min walk from one apt to the other.

Bet your mozzie bites are not as good as kez's- nice and big and yakky!!

Sounds like you are having heaps of fun and are well on the way to seeing all you wanted to see- just be careful going for a wee in the dark in the middle of nowhere, you never know what might fancy a nibble!!

Have fun and we will try to catch up again soon as we have found a few internet cafes.

Lots of love from Lisa, Kerrie, Chris and little Renia xx

horsetales said...

hi you ll have to find a horsey shop and buy some comfy rumps (undies for wussie men who ride horses to protect their soft bums ect) London was great Grease amazin bloody sore on the feet see you not only one who can moan your blog is going great really enjoyed catchin up on your travels
Loz