Tuesday 8 July 2008

The Eagle has (nearly) landed.

Going so fast that I have left my bottom half behind!!



Jed rode this buffalo straight through the brick wall, a mean trick.
Had a great riding day yesterday, Monday, up through the woods and mountains and through the sage bush and juniper of near desert. What a mixture of scenery and what great biking roads, from fast flowing bends to long straights to tight and twisty mountain roads. Ended up at the John Day Fossil beds in Oregan. The visitor centre was a mine of information with thousands of fossils on display.
This area is unique in that the beds are so well preserved and are in distinct layers covering millions of years. It is from the year of the mammal so no dinosaurs and is one of a kind in that the mammals and the plant life have all been preserved and can be clearly dated. So far they have discorved 2000 new species of animal and plantlife. Went for a short walk into the fossil beds, but it was far too hot for me, approaching 104 degrees. Drank a litre of water and only walked 1 1/2 miles.
Was riding the bike through the area of the beds and came out from the shelter of a rock bluff on my nearside when a Eagle came from the cover of the bluff flying straight at me. This bird was massive, at least a 5ft wingspan. I ducked and he lifted and swerved and rose out of my way. I reckon we missed a collision by no more that 10ft. What an experience, reckon one of us needed clean underwear!!!
Beautiful sunny day again today with temepature up in 90's. Made my way back into Idaho today, again through sage bush and juniper, and have stopped for the night outside Boise, at least I can my laundery done today as I think I will be camping for the next 4 nights at least, I will also be out of phone contact again.
Tommorow I start heading towards Yellowstone Park and should be there Thursday. The upshot being I don't when I will be able to update the blog again.
If any of you speak to Rob Leyland, tell him I have heard the church bell sound and have watched the tumbleweed blow through a couple of little places today, places with a population measured in the 10's. Bet no one answers here either!!!!!!

2 comments:

MARIE AND MARK AND SCOOBY said...

HI NICK

Yeah yeah - a big bird flew out

WOOF SAYS SCOOBY

Phil said...

Hi Nick,

Big Bird!!!
Makes a change from "a black dog ran out in front of me sarge" and you thought that Moose would cause you most concern on the road!!
Stay safe.
Look forward to next update.

Phil IOMAM